- Jesus – “God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.” (Matthew 5:8)
- Our world is impressed with appearance, achievements or acquisitions, but the Lord is impressed with our ‘heart.’
- “Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)
- “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.” (Proverbs 4:23)
- When Jesus said the ‘pure in heart’ will see God, He was saying that they would experience the best of God’s presence, power, and purposes in their lives.
- Being ‘pure in heart’ doesn’t mean someone is perfect, but it means that they have integrity in their hearts and lives.
- Living with Integrity means our lives are characterized by:
- Totality – what we believe and value impacts every part of our lives;
Authenticity – we are completely honest and transparent in our circumstances and relationships
Sincerity – we do the right things for the right reason; and
Reliability – we are consistent in the way that we live
- “Putting confidence in an unreliable person is like chewing with a toothache or walking on a broken foot.” (Proverbs 25:19)
- We’re oftentimes interested in our pursuits, pleasures, possessions, prestige, etc., but the Lord is interested in the purity and integrity of our hearts
- Jesus – “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8)
5 Scriptures regarding what the WORD of GOD does:
Psalm 19:7-11 – “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; 8 the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; 9 the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. 11 Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them, there is a great reward.”
2 Timothy 3:16 – “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
Psalm 1 – “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. 4 The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. 5 Therefore, the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 6 for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.”
Hebrews 4:12-13 – “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”
1 Peter 1:22-2:3 – “Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, 23 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God;” 24 for “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers and the flower falls, 25 but the word of the Lord remains forever.” (cf: Isaiah 40:6-8) And this word is the good news that was preached to you. So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. 2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it, you may grow up into salvation— 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
8 Problems with the Word of God today
I'm all about getting real and living the truth in this jacked up world. I like to use humor (can be borderline inappropriate), tell stories, and help people relate the Bible to their everyday eating, drinking, walking around making love lives. I'm sold out the whole route for Jesus, I'm madly in love with my best friend Dana (who is also my wifey), Got 4 kids and a thick New Orleans accent.